Ordinary Extraordinaire...That's me

Ordinary Extraordinaire...That's me

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winter Blues

The last week was rough! The weather is beating us up, bad! Last week we were pounded with snow and ice. Thousands lost power,we were in that number. Friday the lights began to flicker and with in a few minutes all power was gone. No lights, no refrigerator, no water, no heat, no..nothing. My 4 year old had no concept of electricity being gone. He came running in there and said, "Mommy, my tv broke!" he was in a panic. I had to explain to him several times about power. why the lights were not working and why we were having to put on extra clothes to stay warm. Thank God we had a generator for back up. It would pull the heat and the refrigerator. OH and the coffee pot..thank heavens! We kept lights to a minimum and only ran the small tv to watch news and weather updates.
By Sunday the poor generator was having to pull the microwave and stove and the big tv was in use for the race. Hubby wasn't going to miss that.
When we ventured out to get gas for the generator it was like a war zone on the roads. Trees blocked the way every 1000 ft or so and cars where in the ditches and people in there yards looking at downed trees and power lines popping. Sunday evening an electrical truck slowly pulled into the driveway to check and see if we had power. He assured us it would be back in a few minutes. Sure enough power returned. Hallaluah! I am very thankful to be living in America! I will not take for granted my heat and running,clean water ever again!!
Today is Wed and the wind is gusting up to 70miles per hour. There are wide spread power outages. Trees are bending to the max and I'm just holding my breath to keep power.
I will sit with my hot coffee and my boys cuddling and pray that this winter will ease up. I do know one thing for certain. This too shall pass. Spring IS going to come. Change is something we can't....well...change..

1 comment:

  1. Spring is 38 days away....a light at then end of this cold dark tunnel.

    'Duck' lost one of those big ancient oak trees in his front yard. You will see it when you pull off the main road tonight coming in to my house. For some reason, I found this very sad. No clue why.

    Two of our locusts are leaning even more now. I hope the power company decides to cut them down.

    ReplyDelete